2023/2024 Network for Healthy Populations Graduate Award
Established by: Novo Nordisk Network for Healthy Populations, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto Mississauga
Applicable Students: Full-time Graduate Students
Award value (per recipient): $20,000 per award
Application Deadline: February 16th, 2024, by 11:59PM (Full Application)
About the Network’s Graduate Award: The Network for Healthy Populations is dedicated to training and preparing the next generation of health leaders to reduce inequities in risk and burden of chronic disease, promote healthy living and improve quality of life across the lifespan. The NHP is launching the 2023/2024 Graduate Award for graduate students pursuing thesis-based projects (Research Stream) and currently registered at the University of Toronto at DLSPH or any department at the UofT Mississauga. We will support research projects that are in alignment with the NHP’s core mission and objectives. Students who are conducting research in such areas and supervised by faculty members from different disciplines are encouraged to apply for support.
- To be awarded to Master’s or PhD-level graduate students who have completed at least one year of their thesis-based graduate program by the time of award start date (May 1st 2024) and are registered for the academic year of the term of the award at the DLSPH or affiliated with the University of Toronto Mississauga.
- Research is a thesis-based project addressing the risk, burden, and impact of chronic diseases and related conditions through innovative research approaches and where relevant, community engagement activities. Specifically, the project will need to discuss how it will address the burden of chronic diseases and related chronic conditions through better care, lower risk factors, or healthier living environments and how findings from the research will be relevant to Peel Region.
- Students are supervised by School of Graduate studies faculty members, who are eligible to supervise graduate students and hold research funding at the University of Toronto. Faculty members and students will be invited to become a member and join NHP’s interdisciplinary network of renowned researchers dedicated to addressing the risk and burden of chronic diseases.
Award Conditions for students at DLSPH only:
- This award will count towards the student’s funding package (for PhD students only), and will be eligible for any bonuses as described in the appropriate graduate unit funding policy
- Students must fulfill the academic requirements of their degree program and plan of study.
- Students are expected to participate in NHP programming and activities, when invited
- Students may be invited to present their research NHP events such as webinars, seminars, or to NHP partners
- Students are required to acknowledge the Novo Nordisk Network for Healthy Populations funding in publications, presentations, and communications resulting from their award
- Students must complete mid-year project progress reports and final reporting of deliverables, and an evaluation survey. The report templates will be provided to students.
How to apply:
- The application will need to include the following:
- Completed Application Form (can be found at the end of the document)
- Academic CV
- UofT Transcripts (ACORN academic history is sufficient)
- Please submit all documents in ONE PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 16th, 2024, by 11:59PM
- Letters of reference from 2 referees are to be sent directly by email to (email@example.com). One Referee must be the Research Supervisor.
- Demographic data collection: Applicants are asked to complete an optional EDI Survey after submitting their application. The purpose of the survey is to collect data for the Network to reflect on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion practices in the NHP Graduate Awards program. The data will only be collected and held by the Director of NHP and shared internally as de-identified, aggregated information to inform the review committee.
- November 24th, 2023: Launch of the Award
- February 16th, 2024: Application Due
- February- March 2024: Review of applications
- Week of April 8th, 2024: Funding Notification
- May 1, 2024: Funding Begins
Questions pertaining to the Network for Healthy Populations Graduate Award can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.